Saturday, August 4, 2012

Homemade Pesto


This picture may look strange, but this is a trick I have been using for years.  During the summertime I faithfully water my basil plants until I finally have at least 3 cups of good leaves to make homemade pesto.  I use a food processor to make a big batch of pesto and then freeze in an ice cube tray and use the cubes throughout the year for pasta, sandwiches, dipping, etc. 

Here is my pesto recipe - please note it makes enough for a full ice cube tray:

3 cups fresh basil leaves - washed and dried
1/2 cup pine nuts - toasted and cooled
3 cloves garlic - rough chopped
Add above 3 items to the food processor and pulse a few times, then starting adding the oil
1 c. good olive oil - slowly added
Next add:
1 T. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper.
1 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese

After the cubes are fully frozen, I remove them from the ice cube tray and put them in freezer bags to preserve the flavors from frostbite.

This is an emulsion and so when I thaw my cubes, I add a little water to prevent the sauce from breaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment